The venue is chosen, the people are in place, and the theme is set… and now you’re ready to choose a Calgary caterer for your wedding. By far, one of the most memorable elements of the day (besides you and your partner, of course!) is the food. Think of the last time you attended a wedding and how the menu, drinks, and entertainment played a significant part in the celebrations. Not only will your guests appreciate the delicious food, but the right Calgary wedding catering company will also help ensure the day runs smoothly. Here are our top fives tips for choosing a wedding caterer for your big day.
1.Set your budget and ask for quotes
Once you’ve determined your budget, request and compare quotes. Most Calgary caterers will provide you with a package that suits your budget. When you receive a quote, if it’s not already clear, be sure you know what’s included in the overall price, including tableware and linens. The last thing you want is to miss these important details and find out on the day of your wedding that you need to gather cutlery and napkins at the last minute!
2. Determine the type of setup
Would you prefer a plated dinner or a buffet? Consider the pros and cons of both. Plated dinners may add to the overall aesthetic and theme that you’re envisioning, while buffets tend to be a hit amongst guests. The advantage of a plated dinner is that your guests don’t have to leave their table, which can be less stressful. The disadvantage here is that there is less variety than a buffet would offer. One of the advantages of having a buffet setup is that there’s a larger variety of food and guests can choose their portions. A con is that a buffet can sometimes get hectic with lineups, which can be easily remedied with a bit of table organization.
3. Consider the logistics
The logistics of keeping a wedding organized and on time is by far one of the most stressful and time-consuming aspects of the planning process. This can become especially challenging if the catering company you choose is disorganized and lacks communication, which highlights the importance of choosing a reputable Calgary caterer. Here’s what we do at Rocky Mountain BBQ to help ease the stress of the day:
- We bring the food and cook it fresh on location, even if your venue is in the middle of a field!
- We use professional portable BBQs and supply our own tables, linens, tents, power, water, and all of the components we need to help ensure a smooth event.
- If you don’t have room to BBQ, we can cook the food in our kitchens and deliver it to your location on time with a full setup and staff to serve your guests.
- We supply cutlery, tableware, condiments, and everything you need for the big day.
4. Available staff assistance and bartenders
In line with the logistics, we recommend choosing a caterer that comes with staff and bartenders to serve your guests. Most caterers offer this service, but be sure to understand what it includes such as setup and clean up. Once you’ve run through the details with the caterer, you can decide whether you need additional family or friends to assist on the day of.
5. Come with a list of questions
Last but certainly not least, have a list of questions on hand when you’re contacting Calgary wedding caterers. Sometimes, the excitement can take over but having a list can help you stay focused. Here are just a few important ones that a professional caterer can answer:
- How do you handle food allergies and dietary restrictions?
- How do you handle last-minute requests?
- When will you need a final guest count?
- Does your staff provide cake cutting services?
- Do we need to provide the alcohol, or can you?
- Are non-alcoholic beverages included in the quote?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Will we need special permits?
- Who is my main point of contact on the day of?
- Do you require a deposit to hold the date?
- When will I need to pay the remainder of the invoice?
- Do you have a cancellation policy?
And of course, don’t forget to have fun with the process of choosing a caterer! The right one will make you feel like you can kick back, relax, and enjoy your wedding day.
Get a free quote for your wedding catering from Rocky Mountain BBQ!